Sunday, March 22, 2015

My Favorite Raw Goat Milk Kefir Smoothie

My favorite smoothie is with raw goat milk kefir and plenty of it.
For my own self, I use about 2 1/2 cups of finished (and double cultured) raw goat milk kefir.
You can see the picture below is a quart of finished kefir. After 24-48 hours, depending on the temperature I strain the grains off the kefir and then I put them back in their jar with more fresh milk. The kefir I strained off I put into another jar and leave out for another 12-24 hours depending again on the temperature. I like mine fizzy and strong, that's why I "double culture" it.
 
 
These are my go-to add ins for my smoothies. I freeze it all- including the huge bag of greens. I buy it from Costco and then when I get home I throw the bag in my freezer. Don't you get annoyed when the big bag goes mushy and stinky before you could possibly use it all? I just showed you how to solve that problem. They will only be good for smoothies of cooking now, FYI.
 
The bag of berries is fantastic, but in July I use the cherries we pick, and fresh picked peaches.
I love Costco and it's where I get most of these ingredients. I also use bananas for sweetness, and keep peeled, frozen bananas in the freezer at all times.
In place of the berry combination I sometimes use frozen blueberries or strawberries.

 

 
I like to add chia and hemp seeds as well as some good coconut oil.
 

 
Add it all into the trusty VitaMix and blend until smooth. When I'm making a larger quantity because my husband drinks over a quart by himself- I add the greens to the kefir and blend first to make sure I don't have chunks of green in my smoothie.



 
Enjoy it! If you have left overs or want to make extra for later, just pour the excess in a mason jar and leave it in the refridgerator for a day or maybe two but no longer.
I also freeze extra into the kid's popsicle molds in the summer. They get a delicious cold treat and don't realize they are getting super power food with probiotics.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!