Saturday, November 3, 2007

Veggie Powder

Here's a great tip; it's frugal and healthy:
Whenever you have leftover bits of celery, onion, carrots, etc. in your vegetable drawer in the fridge that are about to go bad and get thrown out (or if you just have an abundance) chop them up and dehydrate them. If you don't have a food dehydrator, spread them out by a fire, or in the stove on the lowest setting, or in the sun in summertime.

When they are thoroughly dried, grind them in a food processor or use some similar method and keep them in a cool, dark place in a good old Mason jar or ziplock bag. Keep doing it and it will add up.

You can throw this powder into boiling water for a veggie broth, or use it in soups, stews, and casseroles. You are getting nutrition and flavor from "leftovers".

It's great to have around the kitchen or take it camping and hunting. Easy!

Here's something that bugs me- why do we throw away food? Like pumpkins are food, and people carve them up and then toss them! Then they fill up on chemical-laden, dyed and processed garbage that isn't really food from the "grocery" store, all the while cultivating lawns and flowers instead of using the space to grow real food. I'm just as bad. I just thought it through and was feeling disgusted by that today and thought I'd share...")

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya sister. We live in a disposable society. While I think paper plates have a time and place, I can't stand the idea of it being a norm in my home.

    Love ya and missed ya at the cider pressing. Twas fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear for the frugal tip...will at that to my frugal repetoire....I like using my own pumpkin puree during the winter.

    Love the photo of your kids on the previous post...Tell your African daughter, that Anika thought she looked hilarious...you should of heard her laughing (you know the laugh---rolling on the floor) at the photo....priceless

    Connie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!