Tuesday, November 3, 2009

What's Up on the Ranch



Fall is here for sure. The nights are sharply crisp-cold and the mornings are too. The days however, are still mostly sunny. My favorite goat, Luci is still giving us enough milk that I haven't had to resort to almond milk yet. The hens are looking so healthy and beautiful outside...mostly Delewares now with a couple other heritage breeds mixed in. They are happily scratching in the new grass in the pasture. We finally have some again now that we had a rainy spell and snow twice.

I'm trying to prepare myself for winter, when the fresh eggs and milk are no more. Always sad! But I guess I appreciate living according to the seasons more now that we actually do it.

In two weeks we'll have goat kids again, so at least we will have winter milk. Yesterday Luci was at the fence flirting with LUCKYTOHAVE LOVESICK BARBOSA (whew! what a name!) so I took her around to his pen and she spent the day in there "getting married". (I do have young children at home) When I came inside and looked up Fiasco Farm kidding calculator, I saw that she will be due on my birthday next spring. Bonus! I am really looking forward to her kids, and counting on at least one doe from that breeding.

Next month I'm sending "Lamb Chop" my Finn/Polypay ewe to get bred. Next spring will be my first time having lambs born here. I'm grateful!

I ordered Angus Buchan's book "A Farmer's Year: Daily Truth To Change Your Life"
I so enjoyed "Faith Like Potatoes" and am currently reading it aloud to the kids.


I love this passage:
Pro 27:23-27 
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.

 For richesare not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation?
 The hay appeareth, and the tender grass sheweth itself, and herbs of the mountains are gathered.
 The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goatsare the price of the field.
 And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.



1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that Faith Like Potatoes was a book! I'll have to read that one.

    Will you email me your address and directions to your house? I'm hoping to invite another homeschool mom and had no info to give her because I couldn't find your house if my life depended on it. Thank God for Alena!

    Thanks, Dalyn, I look forward to Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!