Sunday, February 28, 2010

Raw Fermented Beet "Pickles"

Fermented veggies and fermented milk are some of my favorite foods. The health benefits are many and varied, and the food is just tasty! You can read an article here and one here.

I took pictures of the last time I mad these beet pickles. They are my favorite...I eat them right out of the jar or sprinkle them over the top of my salads. By the way- here's a great tip, this summer dehydrate some of those delicious ripe tomatoes you are growing- just slice them and after they are dehydrated, store them in an airtight mason jar. Crumble the dried 'maters on your salad instead of croutons for amazing flavor and a much healthier alternative to fried-in-oil bread croutons.
Okay, back to the beets. I started with 5 lbs. of organic beets. I peeled them and then sliced them.

After they are sliced rinse them until the water is no longer pink. Too much of their sugars will mess with the fermentation process and they may jut grow funky bacteria and not be edible.

 After the water runs clear, layer them in a gallon jar and sprinkle with sea salt. About 11/2 Tablespoons per quart, maybe a little more. I never really measure, I confess. *If you would like to start out making just 1 quart, that's fine, use about 2 1/2 to 3 Tbs. of the sea salt. If they are too salty at the end of fermentation, I just pour off half the water and add more.
Keep layering sliced beets with salt until you reach the top of the jar. Leave a few inches on top.

Pour in water. I have good country well water, but if you don't, use filtered or store-bought distilled. Again, leave a few inches on top.


Cover the jar opening with plastic and then twist on the lid.

Leave the jar in a cool, dark place (I have mine in a cupboard) for several days. Check for a fizzy liquid and a little "pop" when you take off the lid. Smell the contents of the jar. It should not smell "Off" or in any way nasty. Afterwards taste them. If they are too salty, pour off the half the liquid and add more water. Refridgerate.


Eat all you want...they are delicious and good for you. I love they way they crunch, 'cause I hate soggy pickles. Oh, yes, these will stay good for a looong time. I have never had them go bad, but that may be because they don't last long enough to go bad. Really though, they will stay good for a year or so if done right.

4 comments:

  1. These pickles sound really good. I've eaten the beet pickles made with spices and vinegar, but not this kind made with salt. My Dad used to make cucumber salt pickles by using the method you've described. They were so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beets, I'm going to give this a try. Thanks Queenie :) .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I made this to drink as beet kvass. I followed the Nourishing Traditions book. It was very difficult to drink. At first I thought it was tolerable but then I had to choke it down. It was very salty for one. I used whey not the extra salt. I haven't tried eating the beets. Maybe I would like them better. Have you tried beet kvass before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beet Kvass DEFINITELY tastes better after 3-4 days in the fridge. The saltiness goes WAY down. You can also try blending it with strong fruits like pineapple or cherries.
    This site has a lower salt recipe, it uses more whey and I thought it turned out yummy.
    http://seedsofnutrition.com/?p=7180

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!