Monday, June 6, 2011

The Canary List: Page turner!

This morning, after all my chores are done (well, mostly) I finally have some time to blog! I have a lovely raw milk chevre culturing and some raw chunky monkey goat milk ice cream going. I've been busy with lots of goat kids and milk.

Anyway I recently read another book for Blogging for Books- I know, when do I have the time, right? But I do read. I love to read! This book kept me guessing, and kept me up late at night. I am normally an early-to-bed-early-to-rise sort of person, but I was hooked on this story and finished it in two days. Make that nights. Late nights.

You can find a copy at Borders or buy from the publisher here. It's also a website where you can read the first  chapter.

The thing about the book that I liked the most was that I never knew what was around the corner. I was always shocked and surprised. It really wasn't what I thought! It's disturbing and it's scary, but it's got characters that come alive, and are brave and vulnerable. If I could change it a bit, I'd make more time for the old lady and her captor. Those scenes were good! Freaky, but that little old granny was brilliant. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but let me throw a few key words and phrases out ther for you to chew on, and then go read the first chapter and maybe go buy it. Sit in the sun and read!

Demons, Catholic Church, Pope, Priests, foster homes, children, criminal, ancient, sorrow, Italy, clever Gramma....are you curious now? You should be. I'm picky when it comes to books. I don't have much time to read so if it's not good I won't bother. This one was good! My husband got interested after I read it and he took it after me. He felt the same way.
I'm not at all saying I believe the premis of this story- I just found the whole thing fascinating and something to consider. Really, I just allowed myself to become enthralled in a supernatural thriller. I usually don't, but I have to say, it hooked me.

Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers gave me a copy of this book in order to write this review.
If you are feeling generous, maybe you'd like to rank my review? It helps me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!