Friday, August 9, 2013

Bread & Wine Review

"….Part of becoming yourself, in a deeply spiritual way, is finding the words to tell the truth about what it is you really love."  I love this line in the author's introduction.
 
 
Shauna loves God, food, and family, and expresses it through this generous sharing of "her table" through this book. I think it's her way of gathering us around and showing us how it's done. The almost-lost art of feeding people's belly but also nourishing souls and knitting folks together all at the same time. How many times do we gather 'round these days and just relax over a good meal and share stories and talk about God, important things, or family history, or anything at all? Not often. Holidays?
Shauna is passionate about it. I fully enjoyed vicariously being at her table through her story-telling and recipes. She shares her life here and she shares some of her best recipes. This book is a great read. You should be aware it's not a cookbook
but it is about food, and life. She shares both here and I hope I'm inspired enough to start thinking of the table as vital. The people I can have around it is more precious and deserving of my time and efforts. Of food as a pleasure and preparation of it as not a chore, but a way to gather around those I love and those I'm getting to know to be nurtured and blessed at my table.
 
I'm going to go wash my tablecloth and put away the stack of books, papers, and day planner away in my office! It's time to practice the age old art of hospitality and love my people with food and community.
 
In short I think this is a wonderful, cozy book, best enjoyed and savored, much like a good dinner around the table with friends and family.

 
She has a website you might enjoy. You can also find links to buy her book and download a free sample of  it there. Printable or audio!
*I was given a free copy of this book by Booksneeze in exchange for an unbiased review of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!