Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Becoming More...


Than a Good Bible Study Girl



I ordered a book from Proverbs31.org called "What Happens When Women Say Yes To God" but they accidently sent the newsest book: "Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl" pictured above. I'm happy about the mistake since I decided to browse through the book before returning it and ended up not being able to put it down! When I emailed to report the mistake, the cutomer service was gracious and sent the book I ordered right away, and let me keep the one mistakenly sent. (I'm wondering if it was a mistake at all, or really the Lord intervening)

I had never read any of Lysa's books prior to this, and admit I only ordered one out of curiosity. She was one of the original families to adopt the Liberians from where we did. I humbly admit that I wanted to see if she mentioned any kind of trials and tribulations...mention that perhaps she too, had nearly had a mental breakdown after bringing a Liberian child into her home. I'm a rat, huh? Well, she didn't, and after the first chapter I no longer cared- the book was just what I needed, and at just the right time. How so like God!

Lysa writes in a really casual conversational style. She's refreshingly candid, and so honest about things alot of us would have trouble admitting. She's real, and in short, someone with whom I can relate. I read the book pretty quickly and felt so inspired and edified, like I had spent a weekend with a close friend who shared alot of deep secrets, struggles, and laughs with me- along with the cleansing tears of course.

She talks about faith, living it in the nitty-gritty of daily life complete with laundry piles and grocery shopping.
Loved it.

3 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, those near mental break downs happen after Indian adoptions, too:) The book sounds great! I'll have to check it out. What a good mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, those near mental break downs happen after Indian adoptions, too:) The book sounds great! I'll have to check it out. What a good mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really great book. I will need to check out Proverbs 31 ministries. I hear them on KLove sometimes.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!