Friday, December 31, 2010

Confessions and Regrets of a Christmas Cookie-aholic


Every year it's the same...except this year I really thought- was confident even- that things would be different. I wouldn't fall prey to: The Christmas Cookie.
But I fell. Hard.
I had been drinking lots of green smoothies, eating lots of raw, and dehydrating yummy raw snacks, juicing almost daily...and yet.
My daughter came home for the holidays, and she and my 11 year old son love to bake. We have traditions you know. Sugar cookies. Peppermint pinwheel cookies. Peanutbuttter cookies with chocolate in the middle, cinnoman rolls for breakfast...We make so many cookies that the whole neighborhood gets them delievered to their doors Christmas eve, besides the dozens upon dozens we eat. Why? I don't know. It's a tradition! We just do.
This year I nibbled one, and I should have known better, 'cause that's all she wrote and I was down. I ate so many cookies I gained 3 pounds in as many days. Then I got the flu along with the rest of the family. I NEVER get the flu! (well, not for years!) I'm still not over it. My "fat jeans" are even tight. ugh.
All year long you will rarely (I'm no saint) see white flour, sugar, and especially Butter Flavored Crisco (never!) touch my lips. Until Christmas.
I don't even know what hits me. It's sick. It really is. I know they are terrible for my health. But my goodness, they are just so delicious and buttery and...honestly, if there were a plate right here, I'd be back at it. I told you: sick.
So, even though I am not one for New Year's Resolutions, I am at least taking the opportunity to get back to the 80% raw plan. I'd like to feel better, and believe you me right now, I certainly could use some help looking better. After a week long sugar binge , and suffering with the flu, I'm resembling death-warmed-over.
So, I'm off to my favorite resource. The Sunny Raw Kitchen Blog. This lady really inspires me with her recipes. They are incredible. She takes such great photos that you can practically taste the food on her blog. Sometimes I think I may be in dnager of drooling, and some days I get busy in the kitchen right away because I can't wait to try what she just posted. I'm not a 100% raw person, and you don't have to be to enjoy the health benefits of some raw food. Why is it so weird to love some raw recipes? I mean honestly, they taste amazing! The blog owner is Carmella and she has a new cookbook out- well, an uncookbook I guess you would call it. It comes in E-book form and I believe it's now available in paper form. (I just checked, yes, it is available right off her blog) I have the E-book and the recipes are gorgeous. I'll be doing a review next week, so look for it. In the meantime, check out her blog and her e-book "Delightfully Raw" and let me know what you think, even if you have never tried a single raw recipe in your life. (Check out the desserts- they are SO much better than cooked!)

I'm going to usher in 2011 true to form for me; an early night to bed. Tomorrow morning: raw green smoothie for breakfast! What was the dreaded "last 10 pounds" has now turned into the last 12 or 13 pounds. It's time to get rid of it and be healthy.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Raw! Bring it on for 2011! It's going to be a great year. :)

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never gone raw before. I admire you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment Be blessed!